Saturday, November 7, 2009

Sargent Study (Fumée d'Ambre Gris)

While following and studying artist "Ashley Wood" - one day I read that he really liked the master "John Singer Sargent." The moment I read that I looked that artist up on the internet and began to study his work. I told my mentor "John Mahoney" how I had found another artist that I was looking at. John said, "You should paint some of Sargent's paintings." At first it seemed daunting because Sargent so awesome.

That was a couple months ago in the summer. Here we are November/December and I finally built up the gaul to attempt a Sargent Study. This is done in acrylics in a 5x8 moleskine sketchbook. I used a "Liquitex Slow Dri fluid medium" to help give more working time to the acrylics as well as for blending. The acrylics still dry fast but I like them because they force you to make a decision when painting. You don't have all day to fuss around in the same area and that also helps with leaving the beautiful brush stokes (I love them). Sargent's original piece (Fumée d'Ambre Gris) was done in oil on canvas. I tried to mimic the oil look in this piece as best I could with the acrylics. I am pleased with the out come.

Oh yeah' I did put my own little twist on the overall layout.