Saturday, May 12, 2012

I crafted my own sketchbook!!!!!

There comes a point along the road to mastery when an artist develops a deeper relationship with his work and therefore compelled to create his own materials. Ladies and Gentlemen, boys and girls, dudes and dudettes, brothers and sisters... I present to you... my very first handmade sketchbook!

Yes, it sports the genuine top quality raw unstained leather encasing, and inside is 90 lb ph neutral archival paper (hand torn). This paper is so think that I will have no problem painting as well as drawing in it. I think I'm gonna stain it thought because it may not look so good when it gets dirty.

It took some time to get the hang of it but I must say the journey was therapeutic. Especially sewing in all of the paper by hand. I've been up all night working on this beauty and now I gotta get some sleep, but I wake up I'm hitting the trains station to give it a test drive. Feels so GOOOOD in my hands - I can hardly wait!!!!

Email me if you'd like a sketchbook made just for you.
info@dawoodmarion.com








This is the first drawing to grace the pages of my new self-crafted sketchbook. Done on the transit bus going to the art store to purchase paper to create more books. The 100 lb, 100% rag paper felt like butter underneath the pen. I could feel the ballpoint sink into the paper.