Monday, May 20, 2013

Demo Painting - limited palette/ cheap supplies


This is a super quick 5 minute sketch of one of my 8th graders Domenico Delgado. This was a demo at the beginning of class to show the students how to paint with only 3 colors and capture likeness in a very short period of time. 

I don't paint nearly as much as I draw however all of the drawing practice allows me to paint more effectively. Typically I love obstacles when it comes to drawing and painting, this sketch was done using a really low quality (like 99 cent status) 1 inch bright bristle brush (yuk right?!). The end of the brush was frayed and really hard to work with but this made the demo more interesting for the students because I always say you don't need expensive tools to create great work, use what you have or what is available.