Saturday, January 16, 2021

Painting G1 Transformer "Jet Fire" with watercolors

I'm working on a video which will be a full walk-through of my process of gouache watercolor painting. This will be part of my series "What to draw/paint during Covid." Technically it should be what to draw while in quarantine but I'm still working on the title.


I use watercolors with a very simple approach. Here I'm actually using gouache and I refer to them as watercolors because I'm using them like watercolors being that I'm mostly using them translucently and not opaque.

 
After scanning in the drawing I decided to paint on a xerox copy of the original drawing that way I can test out different styles, colors and effects on the same drawing. The original drawing was done with using a ballpoint pen which I use for most of my work. 
 
In the tutorial video you get chance to see my entire process from start to finish. Here I'm laying down the first pass of paint. In the video I keep a reference image of the actual toy that I'm painting so that you can follow allow easier.
 
 Here is the final painting. I like the final work so much that I created a t-shirt with it. Toys are a really cool subject to draw while in quarantine because the are literally art themselves. How can you resist. Well I'm a toy geek so that explains my side. I will upload video footage to Youtube soon. Subscribe to my channel to get notifications here: >>> SUBSCRIBE <<<

.