Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Drawing The Human Form

Drawing Tips:
Figure Drawing is a great way to enhance your drawing ability. I am currently holding figure drawing workshops in San Francisco where we study the human form and practice communicating it's facets through drawing. One thing I always tell my students from teen - adult is, "Loosen up and ENJOY the process, embrace your so-called mistakes and realize that Mistakes only add LIFE and CHARACTER to your work." To me a so-called flawed drawing, in many cases is more entertaining and honest than a photorealistic one.

By dealing with the contour line, I am able to internalize the form more rather than constantly correcting errors as I go. This builds confidence "over time" because I learn to get it "aesthetically" right the first time. "Aesthetically Right" means different things to me at different times and when "YOU" are your only judge as to what is good and what is not, your art experience becomes MUCH MUch more relaxing, fulfilling and enjoyable. If you are constantly erasing and drawing over what you feel is a bad line, then you are deleting your reference for what you need to work on for later.

As you see here I have taken a PLAYFUL approach to drawing the body. This allows me to experiment. Experimentation is a scientists playground... as the body is scientific.

I think I'm going to start writing a book on drawing :) (Why not)