Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Figure drawing and Talent vs. Desire


I had a really full session of drawing nudes in San Francisco last night. Pablo Paul Nelson was the model from the Bay Area Models Guild and he did and incredible job as usual. When I get a chance I will post individual shots. 

On Another Note:
I get lots of people saying stuff like I wish I had that talent, God given talent, you're blessed and all this type of stuff. I don't invest much stock into the idea of God given talent. While I do believe in a higher power and I really appreciate what they are trying to say is, "I really like your work," They weren't around all of those days of laborious study and practice, trial and error - Flippin' HARD HARD WORK!!!  I remember when I would show my work just 6 years ago and people wouldn't be as excited. 

What I'm trying to say is, you will only go as far as the vision in your mind. If it's a job you are chasing then you will only become as good as it takes to get that job (that lots of others have and have had)  making you average or a little above average - if that. Being a jack of all trades will only get you so far as well. The best bet is to find what you really like and thrust all of the energy in your soul towards it. What you like may not be the hot thing that seems to make lots of money, but if it makes you happy then all of the energy you put into it and get from it will metaphysically gravitate all of your desires to you where you won't have to chase jobs or anything. 

Staying positive, having a clear vision of the artist you want to be and working tirelessly towards that vision = Success! It's that simple people. Stay away or limit your time with statues quo thinkers who are outward directed. You must be inward directed - meaning: you know what you want and you know you WILL eventually get it, you may not know how it will happen (in many cases you won't) but you continue working towards it will full confidence as if it's already yours. On the other hand- outward directed people wait to be hire, wait for help, wait for the right circumstances, and they believe that the magic situation or the magic phone call will happen and POOF!! Life will be great. Foolishness! Inward directed people go out and look for the circumstances they want and if they can't find them - MAKE THEM!

My point here is you are just as gifted or talented (if you will) as anyone you admire, the only difference may be your level of desire vs. theirs. Burning desire fuels a healthy work ethic, thus produces optimal results. So find out what it is you want to do, it's not enough to say "I want to be a successful artist." You must know what kind of artist…I will put more of this information into another article. 

Go to my blog and right under my bio there is a blue button that says, "Join This Site." Click it and you will be sent and email update every time I post something new. 
http://dawoodsketchs.blogspot.com/